Lecturers milking students dry with expensive handouts
I received complaints about two particular Lecturers at my alma Mata allegedly compelling students to buy “handouts”. They went on to say it’s expensive (Ghc30) and an increment had been hinted (Ghc40).
The two lecturers were said to be notorious for milking students, and some even alleged passing their courses depended largely on buying the “handouts”. Some also talked about some students who couldn’t graduate because of some of their courses. I took it upon myself to have a discussion with the two Drs so I went to them in their office today. They were out but I waited.
I opened up the whole issue and all the allegations, some of which I heard five years ago when I was a student, and mentioned all the steps I had planned taking depending on the outcome of our meeting today: Like raising a petition to University Council.
I LOVED THE HEALTHY CONVERSATION!
1. DR… Was frank that yes he and his colleague have a compilation, which students actually insist on being made available to them, and they sell at Ghc20 for the effort put into it. I UNDERSTAND THEY DESERVE SOMETHING FROM THE RESOURCES SPENT.
2. He denied making it being compulsory for them or condition for passing the courses. He also denied the allegation of any student not graduating because of the courses.
3. He showed me a copy of the book which is nicely packaged as a book but not published so no ISBN
I SUGGESTED that
1. Subsequently they should consider having the book published if it’s their original work or
2. Sell the book in its current state at production cost because I know it will cost just Ghc 3.00 to Ghc4.00 to print at the press, and considering that the numbers are huge and the market has been good for over 5 years because you get new students every 8 months it sits with reason that the book shouldn’t cost so much if the intention is to help the students. IMAGINE Ghc20 or Ghc30 multiples by 600-700 students every academic year!! (he gave me their population figures as one of the reasons they deem the handout necessary).
3. Create an electronic version and have the department email to all students to print on their own or have on their mobile devices. To this he hinted on his entitlement to some benefit for compiling the document.
4. I also reminded him of my persuasion that they pay no tax on the books so they should take my visit seriously.
WE AGREED however that
My suggestions would be taken into consideration.
If I hear any complaint regarding them again I shall (1) invade their lectures one of these days to have a chat with Students on the need to sanitize our academic system from within and resist any form of monitization, and (2) raise a petition to the University Council.
PLEASE IF YOU KNOW ANY LECTURER WHO RUNS SUCH BUSINESS IN OUR UNIVERSITY LET ME KNOW AND I SHALL HAVE A CHAT WITH HIM.
IN MY DEPARTMENT (History) NO LECTURER EVER SOLD US DOCUMENTS. WE HAD SOME PRINTING THEM FOR US FREE OR GIVING US COPIES TO GO MAKE OUR OWN. Some even gave some of us their books and I still have one’s book I haven’t returned for 3 years (lol). The story must be same in ALL DEPARTMENTS IN SAME UNIVERSITY
On the side, “COALITION of FORMER STUDENTS LEADERS” can start doing something to get certain things corrected.
Written by Abeku Adams